What is a Speech-Language Therapist?

Speech-language therapists specialize in evaluating and treating people with communication problems. They hold masters or doctoral degrees from accredited universities with special training in evaluating how individuals produce speech or how individuals understand language or how individuals express themselves. They evaluate adults, children and infants. Speech-language therapists administer a wide array of tests to determine if a communication problem does exist and what is the best way to treat the individual with this communication problem. Communication problems can range from fluency/stuttering disorders, to vocal/voice disorders, to speech disorders, to language disorders.

Besides holding a masters or doctoral degree, most practicing Speech Language Pathologists and Audiologists have earned national certification through the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (CCC-SLP or CCC-A). Wisconsin also requires licensure to practice either from the state or from the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) if you work in a school setting.

Taken from  from frwisha.org


Oakfield School District • 200 White Street, Oakfield, WI 53065 • (920) 583-4117 • Fax: (920) 583-4671
Copyright © 2017 School District of Oakfield. All Rights Reserved.